Kedgeree is an iconic British dish that dates back to the 19th century. It’s a mix of smoked haddock, boiled rice, hard-boiled eggs, and curry spices. Whether you’re in the mood for a classic fish dish or something with an exotic twist, kedgeree is the perfect recipe for any occasion.
But is it really possible to make a delicious kedgeree at home? Well, the answer is a resounding yes! With just a few simple ingredients and a few easy steps, you can make a tasty, restaurant-quality kedgeree right in your own kitchen. And the best part? You can make it in no time at all.
Making a delicious kedgeree is easy and straightforward. Here’s a list of all the ingredients you’ll need to make the perfect kedgeree:
- 1 pound of smoked haddock fillet
- 2 cups of long-grain rice
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Now that you have all the ingredients, it’s time to get cooking! Here’s how to make the perfect kedgeree:
- Start by bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the smoked haddock and cook it for about 5 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through and opaque.
- Remove the fish from the pot and set aside to cool. When it’s cool enough to handle, flake it into small pieces.
- Add the rice to the pot of boiling water and cook until it’s tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the rice in a colander and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder, cumin, salt, and pepper and cook for another minute.
- Add the cooked rice and flaked haddock to the skillet and stir everything together. Add the diced eggs and stir until everything is combined.
- Cook the kedgeree for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is heated through. Serve the kedgeree warm.
If you’re counting calories, kedgeree is a great option. Here’s the nutrition information for one serving of kedgeree:
|Nutrient||Amount per Serving|
Tips and Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks to make sure your kedgeree turns out perfect every time.
- For the fluffiest and most flavorful rice, use long-grain rice and make sure to rinse it before cooking.
- Instead of smoked haddock, you can use any type of white fish, such as cod or pollock.
- For an extra kick of flavor, add a pinch of smoked paprika to the mix.
- For a vegetarian version, replace the smoked haddock with cooked chickpeas.
- If you don’t have curry powder on hand, you can substitute it with a mix of ground coriander, cumin, and turmeric.
Kedgeree is a classic British dish that’s perfect for any occasion. With just a few simple ingredients and a few easy steps, you can make a delicious kedgeree right in your own kitchen. And the best part? You can make it in no time at all. So what are you waiting for? Get cooking!
As the great song goes, “Kedgeree and rice, it’s the only way to be nice!” Now get in the kitchen and make the best kedgeree you’ll ever taste!