Nilagang baboy is a savory Filipino pork stew that is both hearty and delicious. It’s one of the most popular Filipino dishes, and it’s a great way to feed a lot of people. The preparation isn’t complicated, but it does require some time to make. Today, we’ll show you how to cook nilagang baboy like a pro chef!
To make nilagang baboy, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 pounds of pork shoulder, cut into cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
To make nilagang baboy, follow these steps:
- Heat the cooking oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the pork cubes and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and onion, cooking until the onion is softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce, water, peppercorns, bay leaf, soy sauce, vinegar, and brown sugar, stirring to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add more water if necessary to keep the stew from becoming too thick.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more fish sauce, soy sauce, or vinegar to taste.
- Serve the nilagang baboy with steamed rice.
Tips and Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make the perfect nilagang baboy:
- Make sure to use a good quality pork shoulder for the best flavor.
- You can add vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, and cabbage to the stew.
- For a richer flavor, add a few slices of bacon to the stew.
- For a spicier version, add some chili peppers to the stew.
Here’s a look at the nutrition facts for one serving of nilagang baboy:
|Nutrient||Amount per Serving (1 cup)|
Nilagang baboy is a classic Filipino dish that is both hearty and delicious. With a few simple ingredients and some time, you can make a delicious stew that can feed a crowd. So next time you’re looking for a tasty and satisfying dish, why not give nilagang baboy a try? It’s sure to be a hit! As the song goes, “If you like it then you shoulda put a pot on it!”