Gravy can make or break a meal. It’s the finishing touch that can elevate your dish to the next level. But sometimes, the classic bouillon gravy just isn’t enough. That’s why we’re here to help you create a better-than-bouillon gravy that will leave your guests wanting more.
For this recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
Now let’s get cooking!
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and stir until the mixture becomes a thick paste.
- Add the garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, oregano, rosemary, and black pepper, and stir until everything is combined.
- Slowly add the chicken stock, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce, and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve over your favorite dish.
Making it Even Better
If you want to take this recipe to the next level, you can add some additional ingredients. For a richer flavor, try adding a tablespoon of Dijon mustard. You can also add a pinch of cayenne pepper for a little extra kick.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can also try adding a few tablespoons of white wine or brandy to the mixture. The alcohol will burn off during the cooking process, leaving a delicious flavor behind.
The Benefits of Better-Than-Bouillon Gravy
Making your own gravy is a great way to get creative in the kitchen. You can customize the flavors to suit your tastes, and you can make it as thick or thin as you like. Plus, it’s much healthier than store-bought gravy, as it contains fewer preservatives and additives.
The Best Part: Enjoying the Gravy
Once you’ve made your better-than-bouillon gravy, it’s time to enjoy it. Serve it over mashed potatoes, chicken, steak, or whatever you like. And don’t forget the most important part: the “mmms” and “ahhhs” of your guests as they savor the deliciousness.
Making your own gravy is a great way to add some extra flavor to your meal. The recipe for better-than-bouillon gravy is easy to make and versatile enough to suit any dish. Plus, it’s healthier than store-bought gravy, so you can enjoy it without the guilt. So don’t be afraid to get creative in the kitchen and make a delicious batch of better-than-bouillon gravy.
You might be singing the classic song lyric by the Doobie Brothers “What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing”. When it comes to this recipe, it’s definitely better than nothing and you won’t regret making it.