At Easter time, nothing beats the delicious aroma of hot cross buns baking in the oven. These sweet treats are a staple of the Easter season in many countries, and for good reason! Whether you’re looking for a tasty breakfast or an afternoon snack, hot cross buns are sure to please. Here, we’ll break down what makes these buns so special, and provide a simple recipe for making your own at home.
What are Hot Cross Buns?
Hot cross buns are small, spiced buns made with a variety of ingredients, including currants or raisins, citrus zest, and spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. They are usually topped with a cross made of sugar or icing, which is meant to represent the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. The buns are often eaten on Good Friday, as well as during the Easter season.
History of Hot Cross Buns
Hot cross buns have been around for centuries. The earliest known mention of the buns dates back to the 12th century, when an English monk wrote about a tradition of making and eating buns marked with a cross on Good Friday. The tradition soon spread across Europe, and by the 17th century, hot cross buns had become a popular treat in Britain.
The Meaning of Hot Cross Buns
The cross on the top of the buns has deep religious significance. It is meant to represent the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and the redemption of mankind through his death and resurrection. The buns themselves are also thought to represent the four quarters of the moon, which symbolizes the four gospel writers. The spices used to make the buns are also said to represent the spices used to anoint Christ’s body for burial.
Health Benefits of Hot Cross Buns
Hot cross buns are not only delicious, they are also packed with nutrition. The whole-wheat flour used to make the buns is a good source of fiber and B vitamins, while the dried fruit adds vitamins A and C and a boost of antioxidants. The spices used in the recipe also add a variety of vitamins and minerals, making hot cross buns a nutritious snack.
A Simple Recipe for Hot Cross Buns
Making your own hot cross buns at home is easier than you may think! Here’s a simple recipe to get you started.
|Whole-wheat flour||3 cups|
|Dried fruit||1 cup|
|Icing sugar||1/2 cup|
|Lemon juice||2 tablespoons|
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, dried fruit, sugar, yeast, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
3. In a separate bowl, melt the butter and add the milk and egg. Stir until combined.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms.
5. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5-7 minutes, or until it is smooth and elastic.
6. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
7. Punch down the dough and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and place on a greased baking sheet.
8. Cut a cross into the top of each bun and let rise for 30 minutes.
9. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
10. To make the icing, mix the icing sugar and lemon juice until a thick paste forms. Drizzle over the buns.
11. Enjoy your hot cross buns!
Hot cross buns are a delicious and nutritious treat for the Easter season. Their sweet flavor and special cross topping make them a favorite for many people. Whether you serve them for breakfast, snack, or dessert, these buns are sure to be a hit. So why not give our simple recipe a try and whip up some delicious hot cross buns this Easter? As the old song goes, “One a penny, two a penny, hot cross buns!”