It’s 2023 and who doesn’t love a delicious recipe for German Chocolate Cake? As Lily Morgan, food journalist, I’m here to tell you that this upside down German Chocolate Cake is the latest treat to grace your plates. With an incredibly moist texture and the perfect blend of sweet and salty, this cake is sure to be a hit in your family.
Why German Chocolate Cake?
German chocolate cake is a classic dessert that has been around for decades. It is a type of cake made with chocolate, coconut, and pecans, and is often served with a sweet buttercream or cream cheese frosting. The cake is named after Samuel German, who developed the sweet baking chocolate used in the recipe. German chocolate cake is a favorite of many and makes for a great dessert for any occasion.
Upside Down German Chocolate Cake Recipe
This recipe takes the classic German Chocolate Cake and turns it on its head, literally! Instead of baking the cake in a traditional cake pan, it is first cooked in a skillet before being flipped upside down and served. This gives the cake an unexpected twist, and a unique flavor that is sure to impress.
- Cake: 1/2 cup butter, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Topping: 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar, 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch skillet with butter.
- Make the cake: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, coconut, and pecans. Spread the batter into the prepared skillet.
- Make the topping: In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the mixture over the cake batter.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips, coconut, and pecans over the top. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
Upside down German Chocolate Cake is best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream. It also pairs nicely with coffee, tea, or a glass of cold milk. For an added touch of sweetness, try drizzling some caramel or chocolate syrup over the top.
Tips and Tricks
To give the cake a deeper flavor, try substituting the buttermilk with coconut milk. You can also add a pinch of ground cinnamon or nutmeg to the cake batter for a bit of warmth. If you don’t have a 9-inch skillet, you can use a 9-inch round cake pan instead.
This upside down German Chocolate Cake recipe is sure to be a hit with your family and friends. With its moist texture and the perfect blend of sweet and salty, this delicious cake is perfect for any occasion. So don’t be shy, turn your classic German Chocolate Cake upside down and give it a try! As the song says, you’ll be happy you did!